Tuesday 17 May 2011

REVIEW: Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor #2) by Lori Foster

 Author: Lori Foster
Pages: 384
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: HQN Books
Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor #2) was provided to me by Netgalley

From the blurb. (Goodreads)

Undercover mercenary Trace Rivers loves the adrenaline rush of a well-planned mission. First he'll earn the trust of corrupt businessman Murray Coburn, then gather the proof he needs to shut down the man's dirty smuggling operation. It's a perfect scheme—until Coburn's long-lost daughter saunters in with her own deadly plan for revenge.
With a smile like an angel and fire in her eyes, Priscilla Patterson isn't who she seems to be. But neither is the gorgeous bodyguard who ignites all her senses. Joining forces to plot Coburn's downfall, Priss and Trace must fight the undeniable heat between them. For one wrong move, one lingering embrace, will expose them to the wrath of a merciless opponent….

REVIEW: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Trace of Fever is the second book in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series.

Trace Rivers is working undercover trying to earn the trust of a well known and corrupt businessman, Murray Coburn when he meets innocent Priscilla Patterson claiming to be the long lost daughter of Murray but with a hidden agenda and secrets of her own.

Trace has spent quite some time trying to infiltrate Murray’s business, to gain his trust so that he could eventually put a stop to the human trafficking he was dealing in. He saw Priscilla as a distraction he didn’t need, it was a time when he couldn’t afford to lose focus.

Priss has lived a sheltered life and after the death of her mother had set her sights on seeking revenge on the man she believes ruined her mothers life as well as her own by association; she was focused and determined much to Trace’s dismay.

I absolutely loved Trace and had been looking forward to reading his story after learning bits and pieces about him in book 1 When you Dare. His sister had been kidnapped by traffickers so he has a personal vendetta against the illegal trade of women and was out to seek justice; I thought his actions were admirable. I wasn’t a huge fan of Priss, she seemed to run hot and cold for me and at times acted quite immature and stubborn, I found her to be quite irritating.

The slow build-up to their relationship worked well with me, although they were attracted to each other physically from get-go they held back; I liked the possessive streak Trace showed toward her.

The bad guys were just horrible! From Murray to his girlfriend Helene (Hell) as well as the henchmen that seemed to be lurking everywhere, they were evil nasty people. I am glad they got what they each deserved.

I enjoyed the secondary characters, Dare and Molly make an appearance, Matt the stylist was great & I adore Chris! I am looking forward to reading Jackson & Alani’s story in Savor the Danger.

I liked the pacing of the story; the mystery/suspense held my interest and I enjoyed the resolution. I enjoy Foster’s writing style.

What I didn’t like: Priss was innocent sexually and was quite modest; I found the searches she had to endure to be quite humiliating, especially considering Trace’s view on the ways women should be treated; it seemed to contradict him as a character and was demoralizing for Priss. The way her size was constantly mentioned also grated on my nerves.

Although I wasn’t a fan of Priss, I found the story entertaining and I loved alpha hero Trace. It was a satisfying HEA.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy Trace of Fever as much as When You Dare but it is still a well written and enjoyable read.


1 comment:

  1. I have When You Dare on my TBR. Just got it this week so should read it some time soon.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)