Friday 6 May 2011

REVIEW Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #4) by Chloe Neill

 
 Author: Chloe Neill
Pages: 350
Genre: Urban Fantasy
NAL Trade 

From the blurb (Goodreads).
Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals--and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are ... tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else.

Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society--a world full of vampires who seem too ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands..

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 Stars

I had read many comments about the ending of Hard Bitten so I was quite nervous about starting it; Chicagoland Vampires is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series and after reading it until the early hours of this morning, I am completely and utterly DEVASTATED! I am hoping the ending is just a sorcery parlor trick (wishful thinking) but I am shattered.

Anyhow, I have no idea how to write this review without giving away major spoilers and the way this book panned out certainly makes for some HUGE changes to this series, my thoughts are in scrambles.

It's been two months since the attack on Cadogan House which forced Shapeshifters into the public eye and placed vampires back into the spotlight not portraying them in the best light. Humans appear to be growing restless and with increased violence and anti-vampire protests it is causing fear amongst many.

In Hard Bitten we see Ethan given an ultimatum by Mayor Tate to either sort out the Human/Vampire relationship and put a stop to the out of control raves or face imprisonment; having a ban being placed on his involvement by the presidium, it is left up to Merit along with Red Guard Jonah to uncover the truth and investigate the reported slaughter and feeding frenzies which has left 3 women missing.
Ethan has to be kept out of the loop and provide no assistance so the fallout doesn't force the GP in to placing the House into receivership. Surrounding these circumstances is also the threat of Celina and where and what she is up to.


I was shocked at who was behind the betrayal of vamps and the cause of the rave problems, I never would have guessed and this form of betrayal seems to be consistent with each of the CV books.

Merit is one of my favorite protagonist,  she is strong and determined, she stands up for herself, she fights for what she believes in and maintains her dignity.

I always enjoy the tension and wonderful chemistry between Merit and Ethan, she is still struggling to forgive and trust him but he persisted and is really trying to change. Their interactions and emotional connection is great. They work well together.

The secondary characters which I have grown to love continued to develop and grow in strength emotionally there just weren’t enough scenes with them which was disappointing; I have always enjoyed Merit and Mallory’s relationship with their fun banter and snark; I found it hard seeing Mallory struggle with what she is becoming; that being a powerful sorcerer. It was also nice seeing Luc and Lindsey’s relationship progress, they are well suited.

Ignoring the ending, It was fast paced, intriguing with a fantastic plot, I always enjoy Merit’s wit and humor; Hard Bitten is brilliantly written and has great suspense and mystery. It is certainly a book that brings out all emotions, one minute your happy, the next sad and then all of a sudden mad and left feeling betrayed.

Merit is a fighter and I am hoping she finds the strength in Drink Deep to go forward.

A blog entry from Ms Neill offers big hugs and asks us to trust her, I sincerely hope we can because I am the sort of reader who really gets personally invested in a series and when there is a huge plot twist, it completely throws my thought process and feelings towards not only the series but also the author. I am hoping for some form of resolution in Drink Deep and am thankful we have less than 6 months to wait..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)