Wednesday 1 June 2011

REVIEW: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Author: Kim Harrington
Pages: 242
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Scholastic Point
AMAZONClarity

From the blurb. (Goodreads)

When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth? 

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats. 

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.And a curse. 

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

REVIEW: 3 out of 5 Stars
Clarity ‘Clare’ Fern is a 16yo psychic, able to get a reading from an object by touching it. She isn’t popular amongst her peers and is known as a freak in her small town because of her ability, something that really bothers her.

During the busy tourist season, a murder happens in town and Clare is asked to work alongside her cheating ex-boyfriend Justin and the gorgeous new detective’s son Gabriel to help solve the crime by using her unique ability, she is personally invested in the case because her brother Perry is possibly the main suspect.

I enjoyed the mystery behind why people were turning up dead, I was guessing throughout who the murderer was and was partially right. It was interesting to learn the reasoning why.

I enjoyed Clare as a character, she was always true to herself, she is a quirky, intelligent, and sassy teenager, she stood up for herself rather than cower which I always like.

There are a few things I didn’t like about Clarity, the first was why the mayor & police department were utilizing teens and a family with psychic abilities to assist in a murder investigation, it was far-fetched and not believable.

Secondly, Clare broke up with her boyfriend Justin because he cheated on her whilst drunk at a party; what irked me was her mother thinking she should give him another chance; I was stumped with why a mother would actually encourage her 16yo daughter to forgive him after what he did.

I was able to get past the above and actually enjoy the overall story; it was fast –paced and enjoyable with quick and witty dialogue.

I enjoyed the secondary characters, Clare’s best friend is her brother Perry; although I wasn’t a fan of his slutty behavior he was sweet with her as was his best friend Nate; I would have liked him for her love interest. I am curious to know what her mother is hiding about their father, as a mother I would love her ability to read minds.

I am not usually a love triangle fan and we are left hanging at the end of the book with who she would chose (if any), I am intrigued to read book 2, Perception and hopefully get more answers about her absent father and also her relationship.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I'm reading Magic Slays too :D It is soo awesome, don't want it to end :)

    Anyway, nice review, came here from the Teaser Tuesday post! Visit me back at www.readseverything.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your owl header is sooo cute!

    Anyway, I have a love and hate relationship with Clarity.

    Now that you mentioned it, it is kind of weird for a mother to tell her child to get back with a boy who cheated on her. But I also get where she's coming from. Justin is a really nice boy and it wasn't exactly his fault that it happened. And it's also clear that Justin still has feelings for her. I don't like how she takes advantage of his feelings for her. :/ Anyway, great detailed review!

    - Chel
    The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)