Saturday 6 August 2011

REVIEW: Amaranth (The Resistance Trilogy) by Rachael Wade

Author: Rachael Wade
Series: The Resistance Trilogy
Pages: ebook
Genre: Romance - Paranormal
Publisher: Rabbit Hole Press
Amaranth was kindly provided to me by Rachael Wade

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Knowledge changes everything…

Hoodoo-influenced Southern Louisiana seems like the perfect place for Camille to relocate and escape her abusive past. She didn’t expect to fall in love and plummet herself into the world of Amaranth, a place of exile for reformed vampires.

Thanks to her deadly vampire ex-boyfriend, she’s confronted with decisions that not only threaten her life but the lives of her inhuman friends that she has come to love. Entangled in her friends’ quest for freedom, she dives into their realm and faces the threats of the ruler of Amaranth—the mother of all vampires—and her own inner demons.

Will she derail her life and make the ultimate sacrifice for the very monsters that interrupted her bumpy path back to sanity—the one she wanted so desperately in the first place? Or will she find a way to escape with her vampire love before it’s too late?

REVIEW: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Amaranth is the first book in ‘The Resistance Trilogy’ and was kindly provided to me by the author, Rachael Wade.

**Contains possible spoilers**

Amaranth begins with 21 year old Camille Hart traveling through Paris to get away from an abusive ex-boyfriend. It is here she meets charming and handsome Gavin Devereaux but their meeting is brief and Camille returns back to the states.

It isn’t until 2 years after their initial meeting that Camille and Gavin’s paths again cross when he appears at her place of work. Their mutual attraction is evident; Camille is still trying to get over abusive break-up number 2 with her ex Andrew still lingering when she agrees to a date with Gavin.

Their relationship begins at a steady pace but Gavin has secrets of his own and the truth comes out when he saves Camille from being attacked by Andrew; not the most suitable way for her to find out her new boyfriend is in fact a Vampire and Andrew, also a vampire has been draining her of energy to increase his own powers.

To make the situation worse, she then finds out Gavin is also planning to return to Amaranth, a place of exile for reformed vampires, leading a resistance to put an end to the mother of all vampires reign for good.

There were a number of plot twists and turns which kept the story flowing nicely. I was fascinated by the world Ms Wade has created but felt there wasn’t enough of a visual description of Amaranth for me; I would have loved more details.

It took me a while to warm to Camille, there were a number of decisions she made and poorly thought out actions that had me shaking my head, she grew as a character as the book progressed and I found myself liking her more and more.

Gavin I adored, he wasn’t the typical alpha male I tend to love, he was at times shy and nervous but he appeared to have genuine feelings for Camille, I thought his plight for other vampires was truly noble although his personal feelings and past played heavily into his decisions he had strength, support and determination.

I really liked the secondary characters and look forward to reading more about them in upcoming books, I was shocked by the decision Camille’s best friend Audrey made (I wont reveal what this was) but it seemed quite sudden and the process of how it came to be wasn’t thoroughly explained, it was quite abrupt and I am still a bit unsure of the purpose.

The ending is left open and there are so many questions I still have about this world and the characters.

All in all, a nicely written debut novel for Ms Wade, I look forward to reading more about Amaranth and the growing relationship between Camille and Gavin and hopefully see a resolution to the growing conflict between the realms. 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this review, Sharon. As for the secondary characters and the many questions, I actually just mentioned all of this on my blog today! :) Here is a link: http://www.rachaelwade.com/?p=809

    Thank you again for your time, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Returning the visit! Gavin sounds interesting. I might need to add this one to my TBR. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)