Sunday 18 September 2011

INTERVIEW: Jenna-Lynn Duncan author of HURRICANE

 
Author: Jenna-Lynn Duncan
Pages: eBook
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Publisher: Divertir Publishing
Website: Jenna-Lynne Duncan

Buy Links:  
A portion of the proceeds will go to charity (Habitat for Humanity-New Orleans). 

Synopsis (Goodreads)

I anxiously looked around, my heart palpitating, just in time to see an alligator slink into the green algae covered water that was on either side of us. I swallowed hard, and my heart raced even faster. Alligators were a different type of predator—the one thing I was afraid of. Now I was on my own personal swamp tour. What if my kidnappers left me in the middle of a swamp with five of them creeping up on me? I’ve had that nightmare before and—oh no, if my dreams really are a sign of the future—I couldn’t breathe now." Adriana couldn’t decide what was worse—that Hurricane Katrina was heading for New Orleans, or that she might not survive her kidnapping to see its potential effects. She had trusted Hayden, even fallen for him, and now he and his brother Luke were taking her deeper and deeper into the Bayou. Why had two of her classmates, the mysterious Boudreaux brothers, kidnapped her? Why had Adriana’s dreams started predicting the future? Most importantly, would she make it out of the Bayou alive…

BIO:

Jenna-Lynne has years of writing experience including short-stories and poetry. Hurricane is her first novel, and she is planning a series.

In addition to writing, Jenna-Lynne has extensive experience in the fields of Political Science, international Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies, in studying at the University of St. Thomas and other various positions. She is multi-lingual in 4 different languages. 

Welcome to Obsession with Books Jenna-Lynn, Are you able to tell us a little about your book Hurricane and yourself?

Thank you so much for having me! I am very excited to be on your blog! Hurricane is a young adult novel and the first in a brand new series. It follows Adriana Alexander, a psychic teen who is kidnapped by her two classmates, the mysterious Boudreaux brothers. Hurricane Katrina approaches New Orleans and as the three evacuate, Ana encounters severe weather, deadly competition, and two unlikely suitors. The book is complete with a touch of voodoo and a vengeful ghost, and Adriana’s eventual return to the devastated city she loves. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the New Orleans Habitat for Humanity.

I am from New Orleans originally and went to school in Minnesota at the University of St. Thomas. I graduated with degrees in Political Science, International Studies, and Middle Eastern Studies. I enjoy spending time with my family, writing, reading, and traveling!

When and why did you begin writing?

I have always enjoyed reading and writing. When I was younger, I would write short stories and poetry. Hurricane is my first novel, but definitely not the last.

Where did the inspiration for your book Hurricane come from?

From a short story I wrote when I was younger and it just evolved into something on its own. Pride and Prejudice and Homer’s Odyssey were influences.

Do you mind telling us how long it took for you to write Hurricane?

I wrote Hurricane while I was still in school so I had to take breaks from writing it to actually concentrate on my studies. I would say it took 6 months from start to finish and going over everything.

Is there anything about you that would surprise your readers?

Hurricane was published in four months.

What is your ideal day as an author?

Waking up at about 5 am, writing until 9 or 10, and then going back to sleep. That is the ideal, I never get to actually do the sleep part.

Are you able to describe what your writing process is like?

I don’t know if I necessarily have one although I like to write pretty early in the morning. I don’t always write in order. With Hurricane, I wrote the kidnapping scene first but the other novel I am writing has been in order and I am half way through it. It’s good to be flexible and to do what works for that particular novel. The most important thing is to just keep writing.

Are there any books or authors that have most influenced you?

I have always had a soft spot for all the classics, hence some of the influences for Hurricane.

Is there are book you are reading at the moment? And do you tend to favor a particular genre?

I love YA and romance. I am currently reading Embrace by Jessica Shirvington. One of my Aussie fans sent it because it is not available in the US yet. It is about angels and I don’t care what anyone says there can never be enough angel, vampire, werewolf stories.

If Hurricane were to be made into a movie, who would you chose to play the roles of your main characters - Adriana, Hayden and Luke

That is a really hard one for me because I never had anyone in mind for the characters when I was writing. I know some authors keep cut outs of celebrities while they’re writing but Ana, Hayden, and Luke were completely original and real in my mind.

What is up next for you?

I am currently writing the sequel to Hurricane as well as another YA novel.

Quick Questions:

Fave band / television series / movie? My favorite movie is A Love Song for Bobby Long. My favorite TV shows are Rookie Blue, True Blood, Glee, TVD, and as of last night, The Secret Circle.

Coffee or tea? Coffee.

E-reader or hardcopy? Hardcopy.

Cats or Dogs? Both. I love animals!

Ideal travel destination? The Maldives.

Thank-you so much Jenna-Lynn for taking time to talk to us today!

Thank YOU! That was fun!

2 comments:

  1. Fab interview. I'm a coffee girl, too. It's SO interesting to hear that you not always write "in order". Not sure I've heard of anyone doing that before. I'm a newbie to books w/ a touch of voodoo. It sounds great, though!
    _yay_ @ BookthatThing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for stopping by! Hurricane was an enjoyable read - voodoo is a new topic for me as well and worked well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)