Sunday 6 November 2011

Author Spotlight / Interview - Dark Seeker by Taryn Browning

I am so pleased to be able to welcome author Taryn Browning to Obsession with Books for an interview about her amazing Paranormal Romance (YA) novel, Dark Seeker.

Buy Links:   Amazon - Barnes and Noble

SYNOPSIS:

For 17-year-old Seeker, Janie Grey, ridding the Baltimore streets of the undead is an inherited duty passed down from her Cherokee ancestors. Seeker Training Lesson #1: Never trust the undead. After her father’s tragic death, Janie creates her own life lesson: Love isn’t worth the risk. Both lessons are easy to follow until she encounters the flawed Kai Sterdam. At first, she believes he is the hybrid she is trained to hunt. But, when he has human traits, she determines she doesn’t know what he is. As Janie’s intrigue over who Kai is pushes her deeper into his mysterious past, she discovers a shocking truth that is even more harrowing than the evil they are up against. It’s a secret Kai wants to keep hidden, especially from Janie.

AUTHOR BIO:

Taryn Browning graduated with a BS in Education from Towson University and went on to earn a MS in Reading from Hood College. She lives in Virginia with her husband, two young sons and their dog. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, spending time with friends and family, dancing, music, movies, and the beach. Visit her at www.tarynbrowning.com, on twitter and facebook.

INTERVIEW

Welcome to Obsession with Books Taryn, Are you able to tell us a little about your book Dark Seeker and yourself?

Dark Seeker is based in Baltimore, close to where I went to college, Towson University. I spent many nights downtown and my husband worked there for years, so I’m very familiar with the city. Dark Seeker is the story about a Seeker (vampire hunter), Janie, who meets Kai, the hybrid she is trained to hunt. She discovers he’s not like the others and even has human traits. As Janie’s intrigue over who Kai is pushes her deeper into his mysterious past, she discovers a shocking truth that is even more harrowing than the evil they are up against. It’s a secret Kai wants to keep hidden, especially from Janie. (And trust me, it’s a big secret.)

When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing about 4 years ago during a stressful time in my life, including moving from Pennsylvania to Virginia. I found reading and writing to be a great escape from my everyday responsibilities. One day an idea came to me and I decided to write a book. Writing quickly became my passion and I’ve been doing it ever since. It has been so wonderful to be able to share my stories. It is my hope that Dark Seeker will provide at least one person with the outlet they need.

Where did the inspiration for your book Dark Seeker come from?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all-time favorite shows, so I guess you could say Dark Seeker was inspired by my love of Buffy. Both Buffy and Janie are strong characters who don’t back down to a fight. They have a job to do and they do it. I think Janie is a great role model for girls, because she doesn’t need anyone else to accomplish her goals. She’s very independent and strong-willed.

What is your ideal day as an author?

To be able to sit at my desk all day and write with no distractions, while listening to my favorite “writing” playlist on iTunes.

Do you mind telling us how long it took for you to write Dark Seeker?

It took me about 2 months to write the first draft, but then began the ongoing editing stage. After I finished editing it myself, I sent it to beta readers, my agent, and my critique partner. With their critiques, I edited some more and then sent it off to my editor to be polished.

Is there anything about you that would surprise your readers? Any quirks, habits, routines etc.

I have to listen to music when I write. I mainly listen to rock and alternative since I write urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

Are you able to describe what your writing process is like?

I’m a panster. I get an idea and I run with it. Sometimes I’ll jot down the description so I have a focus for where I’m going, but the description always changes by the time I get to the end of my draft. The story just seems to develop in my head while I type, or at other times during the day or night, causing me to have to run to my computer.

Are there any books or authors that have most influenced you?

Definitely. Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy) and Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments) are two of my favorite authors. Both of their series have phenomenal characters that you find yourself rooting for and getting to know throughout the series. The series also have great storylines that make you want more.

Is there are book you are reading at the moment? And do you tend to favor a particular genre?

I tend to favor paranormal romance and urban fantasy with romance. I’m getting ready to start Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. I just finished The Iron Queen, by Julie Kagawa and I loved it. After Starcrossed I will be moving on to Summer’s Crossing and The Iron Knight. Team Ash!! My TBR pile is very large.

If Dark Seeker were to be made into a movie, who would you chose to play the roles of your main characters Kai and Janie?

Oh, this is such a fun question. Haha, I even have photos of the actors to share. For Janie I’d choose Camila Banus, and for Kai I’d choose Max Irons. I loved him in Red Riding Hood and he is such a cutie.


What is up next for you? Is there a Seeker book 2 currently in the works?

I actually just started writing the second book in the Seeker series.

Quick Questions:

Fave band / television series / movie? Lifehouse/Vampire Diaries/Pretty In Pink

Coffee or tea? Coffee

E-reader or hardcopy? I used to prefer hardcopy, but now I love my Kindle.

Cats or Dogs? Dogs. I’m allergic to cats.

Ideal travel destination? Somewhere tropical with a white sandy beach and umbrella drinks.

Night or day? Night

Thank-you so much Taryn for taking time to talk to us today! I absolutely loved Dark Seeker and I’m eagerly awaiting book 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)