Monday 26 December 2011

REVIEW: Shield of Fire (Bringer and the Bane #1) by Boone Brux


Author: Boone Brux
Series: Bringer and the Bane
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 311
Publisher: Entangled Publishing

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Protecting humans is the Bringers’ duty. Sending demons to the Shadow World is their pleasure.

In one night, Ravyn’s life plunges from barely tolerable to deadly. Forced to flee the only home she’s known, she stumbles headlong into the clutches of Icarus, a powerful demon intent on stealing her powers. Unfortunately for him, she has no intention of cooperating.

When Rhys realizes the woman he’s rescued from the Bane Demon is no mere human, his obligation as a Bringer dictates he protect and train her in the ways of his people. But he’s unprepared for the intense desire he feels for the fiery Ravyn. To surrender to his need may mean her death.

As the Demon King’s desire for ultimate power escalates, fathers are slated against sons, and foes are made allies. The Bane threat upon them, Rhys and Ravyn must quest to unite the last of the Bringers—and explore a passion too powerful to ignore.

REVIEW: 3 out of 5 stars

Shield of Fire was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Entangled Publishing.

I have to admit, I was initially drawn to this book because of the gorgeous cover but unfortunately the story wasn't as appealing as the cover.

Ravyn Mayfield was bought up on sacred ground at Menda Abbey where she was led to believe the powers she had were actually a curse, she was treated badly and never truly understood what she was or the extent of her abilities as she was orphaned young. It isn’t until a night when her friend was murdered, she is attacked by a Monk and a Demon or Bane as they are known came after her that she escapes and is rescued by Rhys where she realizes there could possibly be others who share the same powers as herself.

Rhys Blackwell is the last full-blooded Bringer, a protector of mankind against demon bane who saves Ravyn from the Monk, Powell who is after her as well as the Demon Icarus, the Banes second in Command. He takes her under his wing, heals, protects and trains her in her powers as it is recognized she is also a full-blood bringer all the while fighting his growing attraction towards her.

The relationship between Ravyn and Rhys initially seemed forced, but I am thankful that as the story progressed so too did the believability of them being together; I liked the fact she bought about the good in him and changed his seemingly old fashioned mindset, he took his job seriously and believed love certainly wasn’t for him. 

I enjoyed the secondary characters, more so than the main H/H especially Luc! I loved his wit and cheeky humor and hope the next book will be about him and Jade. The Demon Icarus has me intrigued; I think there is more to him than what we have learnt.

The pacing for me was a bit choppy; it seemed to lag in the middle but picked up again towards the end. I was also a bit stumped about the setting; I had no idea of the era or location so it was a bit of a guessing game, I did enjoy the vivid imagery though.

I enjoyed the Bringer and Demon history and mythology; the book had a medieval type feel to it which I enjoyed although in saying this I think it could have been executed differently.

Shield of Fire was just an ok read for me, the premise was interesting but the delivery fell flat. If there is a Luc/Jade story to follow, I would still be interested in reading this.

3 comments:

  1. Don't judge the book by its cover as the saying goes. Anyway, I'd still want to read the book to see it myself. Another something-to-try(read) this holiday season. The review is somehow interesting and rated as "ok" is not bad. Will keep coming back for new reviews! Happy Holidays! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you kindly for stopping by :)

    I should learn by now not to judge a book by the cover but in this case it was some pretty nice eye candy ;)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- nice cover, but the book itself seemed so full of cliches, cardboard characters, fake angsty tension, and amateur prose, that I stopped reading halfway through. Pity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)