Thursday 12 January 2012

REVIEW: Fated by Sarah Alderson


Author: Sarah Alderson
Pages: 320
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Books
Amazon: Fated

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it?

When Evie Tremain discovers that she’s the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she’s being hunted by an elite band of assassins –Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them – she knows she can’t run. They’ll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight.

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray - is sent to spy on Evie and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfil a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends.

If your life becomes bound to another’s, what will it take to sever it?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

After reading a snippet of Fated by Sarah Alderson in the back of the Hunting Lila novel I was anxious to get hold of it and I am happy to say it didn’t disappoint.

17 year old Evie Tremain is our main protagonist and lives a relatively quiet life in Riverview with her adoptive mother but has dreams of studying in New York, her life hasn’t been easy, her father and best friend who was cheating with her boyfriend Tom have both recently died and she has just discovered that there is a whole brotherhood of Unhuman as they are known beings after her.

I thought Evie was wonderful! She was kick-butt, sassy and determined with a big attitude but she also had an inner fear of the unknown which made her more real and finding out she is a Hunter - the last in a long line of Demon slayers has certainly made her question her life. To help her is fellow Hunter and mentor, Victor Lassonde. 

The Brotherhood after Evie are a group of Paranormal beings including Mixen Demons, Thirsters (Vampires), Scorpio Demons and Shapeshifters, each were terrifying in their own way and determined to kill Evie. Amongst the group is Lucas Gray, a half human, half shadow warrior with the ability to become invisible, he has a vendetta of his own but is currently fighting alongside other Unhuman to rid the world of Hunters.

I loved Lucas! He was gorgeous, mysterious and fascinating and I was so eager to learn more about him. His emotions were certainly conflicted when it came to Evie, he originally set-out to spy on her and eventually kill her but his feelings changed along the way; I always enjoy the forbidden love trope and it was certainly the case in this book, especially when their destinies meant they should be killing one another.

The only thing I wish there was more of was interaction and dialogue between Evie & Lucas, I felt this was missing.

Fated is well paced and engaging and Ms Alderson’s writing allowed me to become immersed in the wonderful story – which is something I love. I enjoyed the concept of the Hunters/Unhuman, it was intriguing and the history they shared certainly had me wanting to know more. It was a very different read to Ms Alderson’s first novel Hunting Lila which I too really enjoyed.

This novel is fast-paced and action packed with a wonderful romance, Fated can certainly be read as a stand-alone but I believe I recently read two more novels in this series have been written, I have my fingers crossed they will be released as I love the world we have been introduced to and would love to read more.

1 comment:

  1. I have recently gotten really interested in the paranormal, and this book sounds like it will not disappoint. I've heard a lot of great things about Sarah Alderson but haven't read any of hers yet, I think I should get around to changing that soon! Great review

    Andrea
    Cozy Up With A Good Read

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)