Monday 6 February 2012

REVIEW: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

 

Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Genre: Contemporary YA
Pages: 256
Publisher: Poppy

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

REVIEW: 3 out of 5 stars

I was really anxious to get hold of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith, it sounded like a really sweet and romantic book so I was quite excited when I was finally able to read it.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a short and sweet story about 17 year old Hadley Sullivan who is traveling to London for her fathers second wedding to a woman she has never met. Her feelings are bittersweet, she is angry, she has argued with her mother and she has missed her plane – by 4 measly minutes but the positive is she has met a boy named Oliver who is also on his way to London and just happens to be sitting in the same row as her.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight wasn’t so much a love story as what is was a book about self discovery and coming to terms with change. Hadley was a strong teen but didn’t like the fact her dad had left her and her mother for another woman in another country, she felt betrayed.

I really wanted to love this book because I went in expecting so much more than what it was (my fault); I wanted the teen love, romance and HEA; I wasn’t expecting the drama and seriousness, I would have loved more humor. I did enjoy the mend between Hadley and her father and the forming relationship between her and her step-mother but I didn't expect there to be so much emphasis on this part of her life.

I enjoyed the connection between Hadley and Oliver and the airport kiss was too sweet but I wanted there to be more dialogue between them.

Overall, it was an enjoyable, emotional, thought provoking and quick read and was written very well. I will definitely be looking out for more books written by Jennifer E. Smith.

4 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to this book but when I picked it up and reread the back I was skeptical. Now I'm glad I didn't pick it up, sounds disappointing :( Great and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review it's much more serious than a simple love story I agree. I still loved this though!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Everyone I've heard from has raved about this book and by the sounds of it I thought it was a simple love story. Good to know it's so much more than that! Thanks for the great review... I still may pick it up in some time, but it's not high up on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-statistical-probability-of-love-at.html

    They're turning this one into a movie. I'm so excited!

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)