Tuesday 13 March 2012

REVIEW: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by R.L LaFever

 
Author: Robin LaFevers
Series: His Fair Assassin
Pages: 564
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Amazon: Grave Mercy
Release Date: 3rd April 2012

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers is the first book in the His Fair Assassin series and was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Seventeen-year-old Ismae Rienne has escaped the cruelty of an arranged marriage to a pig farmer and has been whisked away to the sanctuary of St. Mortain’s convent, it is here she will learn that the god of Death himself has blessed her with dangerous abilities and bestowed on her a violent destiny; it will be her role to destroy the lives of others by training as an assassin.

When court politics put the safety of the convent at risk, Ismae finds herself in the royal house of Brittany protecting a twelve-year old Duchess, Anne and guarding France’s interests.

Ismae was a kick-butt enjoyable heroine, she could certainly hold her own which I love in a character. The love interest in this novel is Gavriel Duval, half brother to the duchess; I am pleased with how their relationship progressed, not rushed but believable; the tension between them at times was palpable, they balanced each other out perfectly.

The character progression is what stands out for me in this novel, Ismae starts out eager to please and quite naïve, more than likely as a result of her past but as the story unfolds so too does the fierce assassin that she has become, she is relentless and takes her role seriously.

I have never read a Historical Fantasy before and I must admit I am not truly a fan of this genre but Ms LaFevers writing was mesmerizing; I was immersed in the story she was telling and captivated by the characters.

All in all, if you enjoy a story rich in historical detail, medieval intrigue, a believable romance and amazing characterization then Grave Mercy is for you. The next book in the His Fair Assassin trilogy, Dark Triumph will feature Sybella and has an anticipated 2013 release.



4 comments:

  1. I got this from NetGalley too. Yours is the first review I've seen for it, I'm glad to see it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! I'm glad you did too. LaFevers did a terrific job, for sure!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great review, Sharon! I love how you highlighted what you liked about the book without giving away too much. Gavriel sounds awesome (how in love with his name am I!?) And I like that the romance was not, for once, the dreaded insta-love. I am REALLY looking forward to this book, and am hoping to read it next week or so!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm so excited for this book. I got it from Netgalley as well but haven't had the time to read it yet. I'm even more excited for it now! Thanks for the great review. *Runs to start reading it*

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)