Monday 5 March 2012

REVIEW: Gravity (Gravity #1) by Abigail Boyd

 
Author: Abigail Boyd
Pages: 207 approx.
Publisher: Self
Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal
Amazon: Gravity

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

One summer night in the town of Hell, Ariel Donovan's best friend goes missing. Everyone else believes Jenna ran away, but Ariel thinks something more sinister may have happened. She dreams of Jenna running to the abandoned orphanage in town, and then the building catching on fire. What does the orphanage have to do with Jenna's disappearance?

To complicate matters, a handsome new boy named Henry Rhodes has arrived in town, plaguing her with unwarranted attention. Even though she tries to stay away, she's drawn to him despite her best efforts, and can't help giving in to her attraction to him. Though he doesn't believe in the supernatural events that Ariel begins to witness, she enlists his help to figure out what is going on.

But when she discovers the truth, it's much worse than she ever feared.

REVIEW: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Gravity by Abigail Boyd is her debut novel in the Gravity series and is an exciting and fresh read which had me captivated from the first to the very last page.

15 year-old Ariel Donovan’s life changed when her best friend Jenna went missing, everyone believes the teen ran away but when Ariel dreams of her and the local abandoned orphanage she begins to question what really happened.

With the help of her new friend, Theo (female) and school newcomer and hottie Henry Rhodes; they embark on a search to find out what is really going on in the small town of Hell, Michigan.

Ariel for me was a very real character with believable thoughts and feelings; she came across as genuine and sincere despite the fact she thought she could see ghosts; I enjoyed her family dynamic, despite calling her parents by their first names which I found quite strange.

I really liked Ariel’s growing relationship with Henry who I thought was wonderful, he was such a fun, sweet guy; nothing was rushed and the dialogue was fun and natural. The ending certainly left me with my mouth gaping but I have my fingers crossed that things aren’t as they seem.

Each of the secondary characters were well fleshed out and believable, including the popular, rich clichéd mean girls. The school Principal has me curious so I am eager to see what role he plays in the next installment.

Gravity has paranormal elements which Ariel is trying to understand, I am intrigued by her grandmothers necklace as well as her aunts fascination with the unusual. There are a number of unanswered questions I hope we get answers to in the sequel.

I loved the mystery, intrigue and characterizations in Gravity. It is a well-structured and well-written world with a fascinating and fast-paced plot that kept me interested, it was an ending that left me reeling so I am keen to read book 2, Uncertainty.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I hadn't heard of this one before. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. paranormal elements...to die for cover...sounds yummy :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)