Monday 2 April 2012

REVIEW: Perception (Clarity #2) by Kim Harrington

 
Author: Kim Harrington
Series: Clarity
Pages: 288
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Amazon: Perception

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

When you can see things others can't, what do you do when someone's watching you?

Everybody knows about Clarity "Clare" Fern. She's the psychic girl in school, the one who can place her hands on something and see hidden visions from the past.

Only Clare would rather not be a celebrity. She prefers hanging back, observing. Her gift is not a game to her.

But then someone starts playing with her head . . . and heart. Messages and gifts from a secret admirer crop up everywhere Clare turns. Could they be from Gabriel, the gorgeous boy who gets Clare's pulse racing? Or from Justin, Clare's hopeful ex-boyfriend who'd do anything to win her back?

One thing is certain. Clare needs to solve this mystery, and soon. Because the messages are becoming sinister, and a girl in town has suddenly disappeared.

REVIEW: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Perception is the second book in the Clarity series by Kim Harrington.

Clarity ‘Clare’ Fern has the special ability of retrocognitive psychometry, she can touch an object and see scenes from its past, she has spent her life being bullied because of her families unusual abilities but everyone is behind her now because of events which happened in book one and her helping to solve a murder case.

When a new girl from Clare’s school goes missing Clare is torn between trying to help out or leaving it alone; it is something that plays on her conscience, she has a deep need to help. Not only is she worrying about this but she has also acquired a secret admirer, she is eager to work out who is behind the messages and gifts she is receiving because what started off innocently is becoming more threatening.

I adore Clare as a character, she is so much fun - sassy, witty and switched on, and she also accepts her ability and wants to use it to help others rather than keep it hidden, so long as she is not in the spotlight. I love how she stood up for herself; she grew as a character for me in Perception and I thought each of the decisions she made was thought out well.

I am not a love triangle fan at all and the love interests are Justin and Gabriel who I both thought were great! Justin was in my bad books in Clarity but something was revealed in this book that made me feel really sorry for him. I am relieved with who Clare eventually chose.

I loved the Fern family dynamic, Clare’s brother Perry (who I think is wonderful) is going through a tough time in this book and I was so surprised by him hiding this fact from his family. Each of the secondary characters are great, we have the clichéd popular girls who have latched on to Clare but she was reluctant to get too close, I liked Mallory and the fact she was very similar to Clare; I hope to see their friendship progress – I am curious to see where Ms Harrington will go with Nate, he has me intrigued and I am sure there are feelings there for Clare.

What had me stumped in this book is Clare’s reluctance to inform her mother of her stalker and of the threats; it was out of character for her but thinking about how her mother would react I could possibly understand why.

I adore Ms Harrington’s crisp and engaging writing, the pacing and plot were perfect and I literally devoured this book in one sitting; I didn’t want it to end especially since there are still a number of unanswered questions I have which I am hoping will be answered in the next book.

I love this series and can’t wait to see what Kim Harrington has in store for us next.


3 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in... Oh wow 4.5 stars I definitely must read this book!!!

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really enjoyed this book, even more than Clarity, so I love to see it getting such positive buzz. It was so fast-moving, I raced through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so excited to see so many positive reviews for this second book. I was worried that it would slump and suffer second-book syndrome but this even sounds like it's even better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)