Friday 29 June 2012

REVIEW: My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

 My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers
Pages: 279
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

REVIEW: 4 1/2 out 5 stars

My Soul to Take is the first book in the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent. I picked up this book after receiving a copy of book 6, Before I Wake – it sounded really intriguing so I thought I’d give it a try and boy was it a riveting read!

Kaylee Cavanaugh was abandoned by her parents at a young age and has been raised by her aunt and uncle. She has the unusual ability to sense when a person near her is about to die and her body reacts in a way that is definitely not normal, she screams bloody murder but is absolutely clueless about why she is this way.

After experiencing what she believes is a panic attack with the extreme urge to scream in a club; Kaylee is befriended by the school hottie, Nash Hudson who has a way of calming her, seems to know a lot more about what she is experiencing and starts to take an interest in helping her through it. I love the relationship they share and their connection – they are both bean sidhe’s - Banshee’s. I also liked how they were able to work together to try and solve the strange mystery surrounding the recent bout of teenage deaths.

I loved the unique premise of My Soul to take, I don’t think I have ever read a novel about banshees or grim reapers and I found it quite fascinating. I enjoyed learning along with Kaylee about what she was and why she reacted the way she did.

Kaylee was a really likeable heroine, she was intelligent, funny and believable in her reactions and I loved her interactions with each of the other characters – especially Nash. She was sweet and loyal and deals with and accepts what she is really well.

I adored the secondary characters, Kaylee’s relationship with her best friend Emma was wonderful – I would have loved to have read a bit more of the witty dialogue between them; Tod was mysterious and I liked him instantaneously, Sophie was spoilt and obnoxious.

I didn’t see the many twists and turns we are given which was great, I enjoy nothing more than being shocked by a book. Ms Vincent has written a wonderful, intriguing story with well developed characters and a world that is truly fascinating.

My Soul to Take is well paced and engaging and Rachel Vincent’s descriptive and detailed writing allowed me to become immersed in this amazing story, I liked the explanations we are given of the banshee’s (and Grim Reapers purpose). I was truly surprised by the mystery throughout and the ending left me gaping. I am definitely eager to read the next book in the series, My Soul to Save.

Books in order:

1. My Soul to Take
2. My Soul to Save
3. My Soul to Keep
4. My Soul to Steal
5. If I Die
6. Before I Wake
7. With All My Soul


3 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good! Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Celine :) I really enjoyed it and have just started on book #2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fantastic read, I'll have to try and find a copy.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)