Thursday 5 July 2012

REVIEW: Inescapable (Premonition #1) by Amy A. Bartol

Inescapable (The Premonition, #1) 
Author: Amy A. Bartol
Series: Premonition
Pages: 392
Publisher: Self
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Amazon: Inescapable

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

My name is Evie Claremont and this was to be the making of me--my freshman year of college. I had been hoping that once I had arrived on Crestwood's campus, the nightmare that I've been having would go away. It hasn't.

I may be an inexperienced seventeen-year-old, but I'm grounded...sane. Since meeting sophomore Reed Wellington, however, nothing makes any sense. Whenever he is near, I feel an attraction to him--a magnetic kind of force pulling me towards him. I know what you're thinking...that sounds fairly awesome. Yeah, it would--if he liked me, but Reed acts as if I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to Crestwood...or him. But, get this, for some reason every time I turn around he's there, barging into my life.

What is the secret he is keeping from me? I'm hoping that it is anything but what I expect: that he is not exactly normal...and neither am I. So maybe Crestwood won't be the making of me, but it could be the breaking of me. I have been left to wonder if the dark future my dream is foretelling is...inescapable.

REVIEW: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Inescapable is the first book in the Premonition series by Amy A. Bartol.

I think I am one of the very few people who didn’t fall in love with this book, I am not sure whether it was because there were too many YA clichés for my liking or if I was comparing it too much to angel books I have read and really enjoyed more recently such as Angelfall by Susan Ee or the Clarity series by Kim Harrington.

Evie Claremont is beginning her freshman year of college away from her only family member, Uncle Jim and hoping to escape the nightmare which plagues her.

On arrival on campus, Evie befriends nerdy Alfred ‘Freddie’, meets Russell, a sports jock and sophomore Reed Wellington who is infuriating and wants Evie gone.

Evie has no idea what she is but quickly finds out she is a half-angel and is very much in danger. Reed too is an angel, an ancient one at that and spends the first portion of the book trying to get her to leave the Crestwood campus – of course she was adamant that was never going to happen and truly didn’t understand why he was so rude and arrogant towards her.

I didn’t mind Evie but her naivety grated on me and she accepted what she was too willingly, I quite liked gorgeous Reed and his snark and mystery but Russell I couldn’t take to whatsoever for some reason, the soul-mate storyline just wasn’t for me & his manner of speech/accent kept reminding me of Froghorn Leghorn.

I was completely shocked by the villain, it was definitely not who I would have suspected at all, I did like the element of surprise; we are given a few plot twists and turns which kept the story flowing well but I wasn’t really wowed. The ending was also not expected.

I think the concept of Inescapable was interesting but alot of things were too predictable, there was nothing fresh and the characters sadly for me were only tolerable - I feel it does have potential though. I did like Ms Bartol’s writing style, it was clear and fresh but unfortunately I just couldn’t get into the story as much as I would have liked.

This book has received some wonderful praise so please don’t let my opinion sway you from reading this book. Goodreads reviews

2 comments:

  1. Thanx for honest review. Truthfully, even the blurb sounded a bit cliche to me. The cover is really awesome though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the cover Liesel! I just wanted to say I liked the way you did this review-even though you didn't love the book you were nice about it and you weren't to pushy with your opinion. It's hard to find good but descriptive reviews so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)