Wednesday 7 May 2014

Books/series {I think} everyone should read!


You know, I don’t have many friends at all in real life who enjoy reading so I was pleasantly surprised recently when a friend came over and started discussing her favourite books and series (I’ve known her for 13 years and I had no idea she enjoyed reading – how bad is that!) so after endless hours we had discussed all the genres, our fave characters, the best romances and the tropes we despise most, it was so refreshing to actually sit down with someone and chat about something I love and that I’m passionate about. Also, no one besides my hubby knows I blog, I mean they are completely clueless! They know I love to read but that’s about it, but I’m starting to think if I am more open about it I might just have a few extra people to talk bookish things with.

Anyway, at the end of our day we exchanged a few of our favourite books/series so i thought I’d also share my list with my online friends. If you have any recommendations, I’d LOVE to hear them, bearing in mind it must have romance, I’m a sucker for a HEA.

I might try and do these posts regularly, I love pushing my fave reads.

So here goes,

My all-time fave series is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, I’d shout my praise from a rooftop if it got more people reading her books, the great thing now is the series is complete – the spin-off is in the works but the first five books are done and are fabulous! let me know if you’ve read this series and what you thought.


The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay is absolutely amazing! Check out the posts over at Belle of the Literati where she details all things remarkable about this brilliant book, my thoughts mirror hers perfectly. I have read the paperback and listened to it on audio and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. This is a must read if you are a fan of YA Contemporaries. {my review}

The Sea of Tranquility

The Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini, this is another series that continues to stay in my thoughts long after I have finished it. The first few books broke my heart but the world Angelini created and her passionate characters made for a riveting read each time and the mythology and the gods were written beautifully. {Goddess review}


My favourite not yet complete series is Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, I am impatiently awaiting the release of Heir of Fire, this series has extraordinary characters, amazing plot development and brilliant world-building and I can’t help but wish for a HEA for Calaena (hopefully with Chaol). {Crown of Midnight review}


The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout (I couldn’t have a list without JLA on it) are books that I would count down the months, weeks, days until the release! It had the perfect mix of amazing characters, kick-butt action, a beautiful forbidden love story, mythological intrigue and filled with betrayals and secrets that always kept me entertained and yearning for more, I'm so sad it's over but SUPER excited for Seth's spin-off series - Titan. {Apollyon review}


Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi is another series that I loved, sci-fi is usually hit or miss for me but this series is written to perfection; I still can’t gather my thoughts of the last book in a coherent enough fashion to write my review because it just wouldn’t do the book/series justice, these books are must reads. {Through the Evernight review]


Easy by Tamarra Webber is such an intense love story, it is one of the first NA books I read and I can’t wait to read the book from Landon’s POV when Breakable is released this month, another emotionally poignant must read. {my review}

Easy (Contours of the Heart, #1) Breakable (Contours of the Heart, #2)

{Special mentions}: Shadow Falls by C.C Hunter, Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa, The Rephaim by Paula Weston, Wait for You by J.Lynn, Denazen by Jus Accardo, Woodlands by Jen Frederick and Lux by JLA.

I’d love to hear your thoughts, is there a book or series that has stayed with you long after you have finished? My list could have been endless but these are the books/series I truly adore.


13 comments:

  1. I think we have very similar tastes. I love everything you listed. Fever series is just BRILLIANT!! I am so hanging for Burned. Like yesterday! I just have Goddess to read and I have read all LUX , love it!!! I am hanging for Breakable. Like , yesterday! I have books 2 and 3 in Sarah's series I must read them especially # 3 as publisher waiting for me to do so. I do adore the Morganville Vampires too. Love that series.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike ;) The Fever series is my all time fave, I could re-read them over and over again - did you see the date for Burned has been pushed back :( disappointing.

      I just downloaded Breakable on audible and hope to start on it over the weekend. Super excited!

      I'll have to try the MV's series, I think I may have the first book.

      Delete
  2. I have the Fever series on audio! I;ve heard such good things about them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its my all time fave series, I downloaded it on audio recently but I wasn't a fan of the narrator at all.

      I do hope you get a chance to try them, KMM is amazing.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of them except from Easy, but Throne of Glass, The Covenant series and Under the Never Sky are on my TBR list. However, I wasn't a big fan of Easy. Though Starcrossed looks incredibly good (I just check it out on Goodreads). I'm hesitating a bit over The Sea of Tranquility, because it does sound interesting, but I'm not sure if I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read the books you have on your TBR pile Cassidie, they are really fabulous! Starcrossed is wonderful and I absolutely adore TSoT - it is my go to book if I'm in a slump ;) Sorry to hear you weren't a big fan of Easy, it was one of the first NA books I read and has stuck with me.

      Delete
  4. SHARON! Clearly we have an edge on you and your friend (I do know about your book love after all), but I had no idea our tastes were so similar! ToG is also my favorite unfinished series right now, and almost all of the others you listed have a place on one of my favorites lists as well. Even the one that doesn't, I still really, really enjoyed! SO my recs for you are: Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. Book 1 is The Demon King (b/c you like ToG). ALSO (even though I just looked it up on Goodreads and saw that you have read a book by this author and NOT enjoyed it) Cate Tiernan's Immortal Beloved series. I've read other things by her too (including the one you didn't like--I DNF-ed that one), but this series is completely different from anything else she's ever written, and it blew my mind. I think it's marketed as YA UF, but that's ridiculous b/c it's about (100s of years old) immortals and very adult in content. You'll have to let me know if you decide to try either of them so we can talk books too!

    Jessica @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure do Jessica ;)

      I have just downloaded The Demon King, it sounds like something I'd enjoy & I love the shelves you have it on 'jerk-of-my-dreams' made me giggle. Ooh yes, I remember Birthright - eep! horrible, but you have me curious about her Immortal Beloved series so I'll definitely give them a try, thank you for the recs I'm always on the lookout for new series.

      Delete
  5. Looks like I have some reading to do! I've only read KMM's series (which I full heartily agree belongs on this list). Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Carmel! I am yet to find a series like Fever, I have read it so many times and never get bored. I just wish Burned would come out already.

      Delete
  6. Awesome list, I would add Newsflesh trilogy, The Others and the Charley Davidson series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba, I have the first book in the Charley Davidson series so I'm going to have to get started. Newsflash is now on my tbr pile and I have just started reading Written in Red - does this have romance?

      Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  7. the Fever Series was so effing amazing. But I was a little disappointed by the last book. The Sea of Tranquility is in my top 3 books I have ever read. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)