Saturday 30 May 2015

Review: Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy #2) by Jennifer Estep

Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2)Kiss of Frost #2

Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy 2
Pages: 337
Publisher: K-Teen
Release date: 29th November 2011

Synopsis –

Logan Quinn was trying to kill me. My Spartan classmate relentlessly pursued me, swinging his sword at me over and over again, the shining silver blade inching closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes practically glowed with the thrill of battle …
I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Academy, and I have no idea how I’m going to survive the rest of the semester. One day, I’m getting schooled in swordplay by the guy who broke my heart — the drop-dead gorgeous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invisible archer in the Library of Antiquities decides to use me for target practice. And now, I find out that someone at the academy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword — with Logan’s help — I just might die by the sword …

Review: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Contains possible spoilers from Touch of Frost

Kiss of Frost is the second book in the Mythos Academy series and follows on where Touch of Frost left off.

Seventeen year-old Gwen Frost is a second year student at Mythos Academy, a lot happened in Touch of Frost so Gwen is more than eager to lay low. She is trying to get over her heart ache caused by smexy Spartan Logan Quinn and the Reapers are still after her; she is hoping the school ski resort trip for the winter carnival will be a distraction from everything that has recently happened.

Gwen is a fabulous, snarky character; she is kick-butt awesome and is learning more and more about her psychometry ability everyday but she is also starting to think it may also be a curse. Logan still continues to be Gwen’s saviour but he remains at arm’s length and a bit of a mystery, he mainly spends time with Gwen in their training sessions or when she needs saving, I am enjoying the slow progression of their relationship; nothing has been rushed which I appreciated but I feel he flaunted Savannah, a fellow student in her face.

We get a lot of rehashing from the first book and a few things were repetitive and predictable but I am enjoying the plot progression and how things are slowly starting to fall into place. I was able to guess the bad guy from the onset so the element of surprise was missing.

All of the characters are wonderful! Daphne is a real stand out character for me, who would have thought the popular mean girl would end up best friends with Gwen. Carson is great and I’m glad Oliver and Kenzie played a bigger role – Vic, Gwen’s sword continues to be pretty awesome.

I am enjoying the mystery and learning about Gwen’s ability and her role as Nike’s champion as she does, we also find out more about the reapers and the Fenris wolf; the change of setting in this book was enjoyable and I am still enjoying Jennifer Estep’s storytelling and writing.

Kiss of Frost is a wonderful addition to the Mythos Academy series.


Favourite quotes:

“How had I ever thought he was cute? He so needed to be locked up in an insane asylum somewhere. Too bad Batman wasn't here to come and drag his ass off to Arkham.” 

“Since coming to Mythos, I'd almost been run through with a sword and mauled to death by a killer kitty cat. Dirty looks didn't faze me anymore.” 


“Come on, Gypsy girl. I'm bleeding to death here, in case you haven't noticed. At least make it worth my while and kiss me before I die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)