Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Review & 6 Things you didn't know about The Diabolic universe by SJ Kincaid


The Diabolic by S.J Kincaid
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release date: 1st November 2016
Pages: 416

Simon & Schuster Children's
ISBN 9781471148392 | 
November 2016
List Price
AU$ 19.99
NZ$ 22.99


The DiabolicSynopsis: A Diabolic is ruthless. A Diabolic is powerful. A Diabolic has a single task: Kill in order to protect the person you’ve been created for. 

Nemesis is a Diabolic, a humanoid teenager created to protect a galactic senator’s daughter, Sidonia. The two have grown up side by side, but are in no way sisters. Nemesis is expected to give her life for Sidonia, and she would do so gladly. She would also take as many lives as necessary to keep Sidonia safe.

When the power-mad Emperor learns Sidonia’s father is participating in a rebellion, he summons Sidonia to the Galactic court. She is to serve as a hostage. Now, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia. She must become her. Nemesis travels to the court disguised as Sidonia—a killing machine masquerading in a world of corrupt politicians and two-faced senators’ children. It’s a nest of vipers with threats on every side, but Nemesis must keep her true abilities a secret or risk everything.

As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns there is something more to her than just deadly force. She finds a humanity truer than what she encounters from most humans. Amidst all the danger, action, and intrigue, her humanity just might be the thing that saves her life—and the empire.
Check out!

The Read Me Love Me Share Me Facebook page

Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars

The Diabolic by SJ Kincaid has the most uniquely wonderful premise which I was intrigued about instantly. I am pleased to be a part of the Simon and Schuster blog tour for this amazing title.

Diabolics are not human, they are creatures designed to be utterly ruthless and dedicated to only one individual, they are to serve as lifelong bodyguards, usually for the imperial families – they can’t feel empathy or kindness. Nemesis has been engineered to be strong, cold-blooded and deadly and to protect Sidonia Impyrean, the Senator von Impyrean’s daughter, Nemesis is to give her life for her should the need arise.

When the Emperor learns Sidonia’s father is participating in an uprising, he summons her to the Chrysanthemum. The only way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia is to masquerade as her in a place filled with bloodthirsty and corrupt politicians, it was a true test of her deadly nature.

Nemesis was an interesting character, I didn’t know what to make of her initially but she really surprised me with her strength of character and the feelings that she showed. I came to really like her character growth, she wasn’t without flaws but because of her genetic makeup her behavior was expected.

We have a small amount of romance and I was pleased that it wasn’t at the forefront of the story. Tyrus Domitrian is a supposed madman of the ruling family, he is the nephew of the Emperor and will one day inherit the throne. But he has many secrets, I won’t go into too much detail to avoid spoilers but his character surprised me.

The fast paced plot is filled with friendships, politics and how Nemesis fits into the diabolic world, she shows feelings that she isn’t meant to have. We see a lot of personal growth as the story progresses and I can’t help but wish that this was a series, I love the sci-fi world that Kincaid has created, it’s unique and very creative.

The world we come to know is captivating but also very brutal, Nemesis was kick butt but there were many scenes that were quite gory, there were quite a few deaths and admittedly some weren’t necessary.

Overall, The Diabolic is well-written, entertaining and engaging; I am definitely eager to read more books by SJ Kincaid. 

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Australia for the opportunity to be a part of The Diabolic blog tour.



About the authorAbout the author

S.J. Kincaid was born in Alabama, grew up in California, and attended high school in New Hampshire, but it was while living beside a haunted graveyard in Scotland that she realized that she wanted to be a writer. Her debut, Insignia, came out in July of 2012. The second book in the series, Vortex was released in July of 2013. The final book in the trilogy, Catalyst, came out October 28, 2014. Her standalone novel The Diabolic will be released in fall 2016.


6 Things You Didn’t Know About The Diabolic Universe

1)        I tried writing the universe of THE DIABOLIC from Tyrus's point of view first. I couldn't do it. I needed a break from writing from the viewpoint of boys after my INSIGNIA trilogy.

2)        Next, I took the basic idea of an I, CLAUDIUS YA and tried writing a humorous, reverse-THE SELECTION of sorts, where a mad Emperor is selecting his bride from among a number of girls and they are all desperate not to wed him. There was humor to be milked from the girls engaging in increasingly ludicrous ploys to seem more unattractive than each other, but I tired of it quickly and stopped writing it.

3)        Next, I tried writing the universe of THE DIABOLIC from Sidonia's point of view. It was in space, the tone was serious, but I couldn't get any traction. (There was no Nemesis in this version).

4)        THE DIABOLIC in its current form all sprang from one single page I don't even recall writing where Nemesis and Sidonia first meet. I kept coming back to that page, because something was there, yet I just didn't know what…

5)        Doubts plagued me the entire time I was writing THE DIABOLIC because I kept thinking my main character was too ruthless, too hard, too invulnerable for anyone to truly relate to her. This suspicion was reaffirmed when my first agent response was a rejection because Nemesis was too cold, the second a rejection because the very first chapter - and Nemesis's introduction - was too violent. Fortunately, I then connected with the best agent I could possibly hope for, and the rest was history.

6)        I finished this book, suspecting it would not sell.
            It sold in two days.


3 comments:

  1. I've seen so many good reviews on this book. Nick sadly didn't like this one so I'm unsure if this is my kind of book. Glad to see you loved it Sharon!

    Nereyda│ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..I have an ARC from BEA of this..and hello WHAT am I waiting for? Lovely review Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is one all my teens will read. And love. Twists. Turns. High pace. Moves. It's June and Day in a single book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)