Thursday 16 February 2012

REVIEW: Fracture by Megan Miranda


 
Author: Megan Miranda
Pages: 262
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Genre: Young Adult
Amazon: Fracture

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal.

REVIEW: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips after being submerged for 11 minutes, she should technically be dead or at least have brain damage but after 6 days in a coma she has beat the medical odds and is seemingly fine.

What she has found to be unusual is the strange twittering she feels with her hands and the pull she now has to the dying. She believes she is going crazy and can’t explain what she is going through, that is until she meets Troy Varga.

Troy knows of Delaney’s ability as he feels the same sensations; he has also recently woken from a coma with the unexplained pull to the dying. I was a little unsure about the mysterious and intense Troy and was never quite sure of his intentions.

Fracture was a book that left me curious the whole way through, I could never quite work out in which direction Ms Miranda would take the plot and she certainly surprised me (in a good way) on numerous occasions. The concept of Fracture was certainly intriguing.

I really enjoyed each of the characters, the relationship between Decker and Delaney was really sweet but was a bit too open for my liking, and I wish they could have shared their thoughts and feelings a lot sooner into the story, I wanted her to be able to depend on him but she seemed to sway away and vice versa. I also wish Tara hadn’t been in the picture.

I really liked Delaney’s family dynamic initially, her parents were a huge present in her life but I felt sad when her mother started to give up on her, understandably she had her own issues but taking a step back didn’t make things easier.

Megan Miranda’s writing is certainly engaging, I found the story flowed nicely and kept me entertained. The only thing which kept me from rating it any higher was the back and forth between Delaney, Decker and Troy; their personality changes had my head spinning on numerous occasions – I found it all a tad frustrating; I was also surprised by the ending which to me seemed a bit abrupt.

Fracture was certainly unpredictable and emotionally intense but was written in a way that kept you wanting to know so much more, it was a unique read with interesting yet flawed characters.

I would recommend Fracture to those who enjoy a YA thriller/mystery with more intense drama and little romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)