Tuesday 28 June 2011

REVIEW: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Schultz

Author: Cara Lynn Schultz
Pages: 384
Genre: YA - Paranormal
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Spellbound was kindly provided to me by Netgalley

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

REVIEW: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Spellbound was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Harlequin Teen.

Sixteen year old Emma Conner has led a tragic life, losing both her twin brother and her mother within a short space of time and narrowly escaping a drunken car accident caused by her step-father. She has moved from Keansburg to New York to live with her aunt Christine and to attend an exclusive prep school, Vincent Academy. She wants nothing more than to remain anonymous, more or less so no one questions her past.

Brendan Salinger is the school bad boy from a prominent, rich family; he stood up for Emma on her first day of school, paid attention to her on a night out with friends and then completely ignored her without explanation; his behavior certainly left her hurt and confused.

I enjoyed the relationship between Emma and Brendan, she was inexplicably drawn to him and vice versa; I enjoyed the natural flow of fun and witty dialogue between them as well as their own inner turmoil for not being together – although it was their destiny. Both characters were likeable from the start and ‘spellbound’ certainly describes their reaction to one another perfectly.

There were certainly some interesting secondary characters; from her loving relatives to Cisco her gay-best friend, her witchy outcast friend Angelique who really helped her with the curse to the mean girl, Kristin and the sleazy jock, Anthony. I enjoyed them all.

Spellbound is a story of romance and reincarnation, I found the curse fascinating and the mystery of her charm necklace intriguing.

Although it wasn't jam packed with action,  the scene at the end with Anthony held me captivated, it was written perfectly and I was anxious to find out the outcome - I am sure if there is a sequel, Anthony will again make an appearance, I don't feel we have seen the last of him.

The only problem I found with Spellbound is in some parts of the book it was overly descriptive and repetitive, but all in all it was a light-hearted, quick and enjoyable read without being too heavy on the paranormal.

There is a part at the end of the galley I received which may hint at a sequel, with the story being from Angelique’s POV.

A nice debut novel for author Cara Lynn Schultz.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this and like you was gripped by the ending!
    I had the short story too and thought it was leading on to something else. We'll have to keep a lookout.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, have a good weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)