Tuesday 30 August 2011

REVIEW: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Pages: 372
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Dutton

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?

REVIEW: 5 out of 5 stars

I have no idea at all why I held off so long in reading Anna and the French Kiss, I devoured it in such a short period of time and have to admit real-life was put on the back burner, it was all sorts of amazing.

Anna Oliphant is 17 years-old and has been sent by her parents, specifically her famous author father to boarding school in Paris, France to complete her final senior year. She has left behind her best friend, potential boyfriend and her younger brother and mother to settle into the unknown alone.

On arrival in Paris, Anna is left inconsolable after her parent’s departure but is comforted by a fellow student, Meredith and introduced to a number of her friends, including the popular, funny and extremely good-looking French/English/American boy Etienne St Claire – who also happens to be unavailable.

I loved the interactions and the close bond between Etienne and Anna, their chemistry and attraction was obvious but because Etienne was in a long-term relationship their feelings were left unspoken and they grew to be best-friends. I enjoyed the times they spent together, the sight-seeing, movies, thanks-giving sleep-overs etc. made for great build-up to their growing yet forbidden romance.

The secondary characters were all enjoyable and well-developed, each flawed but also very much real. Meredith, Rashmi and Josh are the sorts of friends you would really want by your side.

There were a number of different emotions portrayed throughout the book, which leaves you feeling at times giddy with happiness but at others devastated and heart-broken. It made you relate to each of the characters and hope for the best outcome.

I really liked the setting of Paris, it is a place I have always wanted to visit and reading about the amazing landmarks and the romance made me gush over it all the more; Ms Perkins has described it all beautifully.

I thoroughly enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss, the drama, relationships, friendships and behaviors are realistic, the romance was sweet and although slow to happen the build-up was wonderful.

The pacing and plot was spot on for me, Ms Perkins writing flows nicely, she has a way with words that drew me in and kept me riveted throughout.

I am now eagerly anticipating the release of Lola and the Boy Next Door which has a September 2011 release date.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)