Wednesday 7 December 2011

REVIEW: Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C Hunter

 
Author: C.C Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls
Pages: 400
Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Amazon: Awake at Dawn

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities.  But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold. 

To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away.  When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point.  Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

Awake at Dawn is the second book in the Shadow Falls series by C.C Hunter and continues on where Born at Midnight left off.
Our main protagonist Kylie Galen is still trying to work out where she fits in at the Shadow Falls camp for supernatural beings. She has settled into their world and is slowly discovering new and exciting abilities but no-one is able to tell her exactly what she is.

Throughout this story, Kylie has a ghost trying to give her a message about a loved one needing her help but their ability to communicate at times gets lost in translation and Kylie has no idea who she needs to save.

I really like Kylie, she is caring, determined and has the strength I admire in a character; I really felt for what she was going through with her parents, specifically her father and their divorce, you could really feel her anger and betrayal. Her indecision about Lucas and Derek at times drove me batty but understandable when she is given two gorgeous, caring yet completely different guys to choose from. I am really looking forward to finding out exactly what she is, the abilities we got a glimpse of in this book leads me to believe she will eventually be a force to be reckoned with, I am certainly intrigued.

Lucas the werewolf has returned to Shadow Falls after a short stint being away, Kylie has a connection with him that she can’t describe but feels her heart belongs with Derek the fairy – I honestly couldn’t chose between either of these guys! I absolutely adore both so I’m not sure which way she’ll go.

The secondary characters are all amazing and play an important role in this series, her Shadow Falls best friends Vampire Della and Witch Miranda are absolutely wonderful – the banter between them is classic and the side story between Burnett and Holiday is really sweet, I truly hope their relationship progresses.

I don’t feel there was as much action in Awake at Dawn as there was in Born at Midnight but it was a thrilling, suspenseful read none the less and I enjoy watching Kylie’s journey of self discovery.

C.C Hunter’s writing draws you in, I literally couldn’t put this book down I was so engrossed and entertained with the drama, mystery and of course romance, I was completely immersed in this story.

Awake at Dawn is a wonderful installment in this series, I am so eager to read the next book, Taken at Dusk to learn more about Kylie and her amazing abilities as well as about those who are after her, there are so many unanswered questions I am eager to find out the answers to.

Born at Midnight Review



3 comments:

  1. I missed this series..will go and ck it out. i like the cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there going to be a 6th book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty certain Chosen at Nightfall is the final book in the series.

      Delete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)