Friday 13 January 2012

REVIEW: Fade (Fade #1) by Kailin Gow

 
Author: Kailin Gow
Pages: 226
Series: Fade
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: EDGEBooks
Amazon: Fade

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

What if you found out you never existed?
"My name is Celestra Caine. I am seventeen years old, which makes me a senior at Richmond High. I never thought this would happen to me, but it has... I'm one of those people you see every day, go to school with, remember seeing at the supermarket or the mall, and then one day you don't hear about them any longer. They're gone, and eventually, you forget them."

REVIEW: 3 out of 5 stars

Fade is the first book in the Fade series by Kailin Gow.

Celestra Caine has always  thought of herself as a regular 17 year old girl, she is a high school senior and dating the popular school jock Grayson when one afternoon she arrives home to her family missing, no mobile network coverage and an unusual telephone call telling her she is about to Fade.

A group known as the Faders have been watching Celestra her whole life and know of unusual abilities she has and will possibly gain so have taken her into their protection against another group, the baddies known as The Others.

When a person Fade’s their memory is virtually wiped clean, this is what was meant to happen with Celestra but for some unknown reason it didn’t work so the Faders at their underground hideout have created a new identity for her as a model.

To me, Celes wasn’t a strong character, she accepted everything all too willingly and her emotions seemed to be absent, I expected or wanted her to kick up a big fuss and demand answers but it wasn’t the case. She also accepted the new identity as a model too easily, she was virtually unrecognizable to herself but she went along with it all.

Jack Simple is a Fader and has been tasked with looking after and protecting Celes, I actually didn’t mind him as a main male lead but wanted to know more about him and his role within the organization; I also feel there is more to him than what we have been told, he is a mystery and I am curious to learn more.

There is a dreaded love triangle with Celestra-Grayson & Jack and we are left in the middle of an action packed scene at the end which left me wondering who Celes will choose to trust.  

I love the premise of Fade, I found it really intriguing but unfortunately for me it fell a bit flat in delivery, there were too many unanswered questions and I couldn’t accept how willingly Celestra accepted what she was being told, her feelings were also all over the place with her relationship status.

I do enjoy Ms Gow’s writing, it was simplistic yet detailed and enjoyable, I especially liked the action scenes and the unexpected twists and turns we are given along the way.

All in all, Fade was a quick and enjoyable read. I will be reading the sequel Falling to see if the blanks I have will be filled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)