Monday 20 February 2012

REVIEW: Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instincts #9) by Rhyannon Byrd


 
Author: Rhyannon Byrd
Series: Primal Instinct
Pages: 384
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: 20th March 2012

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Tasked with protecting humanity from harm, the last thing Ashe Granger was searching for on his mission was his destined mate. Then, a mysterious darkeyed beauty reluctantly offered him shelter. A spark of danger—and a soul-deep recognition—ignited a burning, carnal need…

Since her family’s exile, Juliana Sabin had borne full responsibility for their safety. So when evil struck, she
had no choice but to ally herself with the sexy guardian vampire. Now, months later, Ashe is back and tempting Juliana to reveal her darkest secrets…and desires. For the killer stalking the shadows isn’t acting alone—and he won’t rest until his deadly cravings are fulfilled.

REVIEW: 3 out of 5 stars

Deadly is the Kiss was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Harlequin.

I am a huge fan of Ms Byrd’s Primal Instincts series so I was quite eager to read Deadly is the Kiss, Ashe Grangers story.
 
Juliana Sabin’s family has been serving time at their compound within the wastelands when Juliana receives a way to escape and to locate Ashe Granger to ask his help in clearing her family’s name with the council.

Ashe Granger is a member of the Formyndares, an elite, highly skilled group of soldiers whose job is the protection of the Deschanel Vampires. Ashe has recently started the ‘burning’; what happens when a Vampire finds his destined mate and knows it to be Juliana, someone he has clashed with on numerous occasions and certainly doesn’t trust.

I have absolutely loved Ashe throughout this whole series but his mannerisms and behavior in this book came across as obnoxious, demeaning, demanding and rude. I couldn’t take to him whatsoever. I enjoyed the way he protected Juliana but he never trusted her and their relationship seemed to lack any emotion, it seemed physical only.

Whilst I enjoyed the plot, the main characters just let it down for me. The suspense and action was ongoing which I liked, I also found the mystery surrounding Juliana’s past and the connection she had with Raphe Delacourt, a legendary crime lord who ruled the Deschanel underworld to be fascinating. Seeing them work together to try to clear her family name, with the help from Gideon Granger was quite interesting.

I love Ms. Byrd’s engaging writing style, as a reader you are literally captivated by the story she is telling. Whilst this book wasn’t one of my favorites, I am still keen to read more books from this wonderful author.

I feel it is best for this series to be read in order; Ms. Byrd explains enough in order to get by but to fully understand the back-story it should be read from book 1, Edge of Hunger.

Books in order:
Edge of Hunger
Edge of Danger
Edge of Desire
Touch of Seduction
Touch of Surrender
Touch of Temptation
Rush of Darkness
Rush of Pleasure
Deadly is the Kiss


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)