Tuesday 3 April 2012

REVIEW: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

 
Author: Cath Crowley
Pages: 264
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Amazon: Graffiti Moon

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

REVIEW: 5 out of 5 stars

I had no idea what to expect when I started on Graffiti Moon but boy was I pleasantly surprised and ended up devouring this book in one siting.

Lucy, Jazz and Daisy are looking for a night of excitement on their last day of year 12; Lucy has a dream of meeting a local elusive graffiti artist known as Shadow, Jazz is her best friend and a psychic and Daisy’s boyfriend Dylan claims he knows Shadow and his sidekick Poet.

Ed and Leo are the graffiti artists known as Shadow and Poet and have left their mark on numerous walls around the town; Ed has a history with Lucy – she broke his nose on a date when they were 15 but when he hears of her desire to meet Shadow he agrees to help her look for him, never wanting to reveal it was him.

What a night of adventure these teens had! I loved every moment from their initial meeting to them getting to know each other and eventually the romances that came out of the night; I absolutely adored every word, every detail, their appreciation of art, the dialogue was wonderful and the characters each believable.

Graffiti Moon is told in alternating POV’s from Lucy, Ed and Leo; it is my favorite form of narrative and gave us a glimpse into each of the characters, each had depth and intriguing personalities and lives that were believable, they had hardships, dreams, fears and aspirations and everything wasn’t all rosy for them. Ms Crowley gave us very real situations – dyslexia, loss, divorce, unemployment and insecurities, it was nice to read of characters that weren’t portrayed as ‘perfect’.

Graffiti Moon is a breathtaking read; I was mesmerized by the beautiful, lyrical writing. Leo’s POV was his poetry which I initially thought I’d be skipping but boy did I love it. Ms Crowley has written a real page turner, I’ll definitely be picking up more of her work.


3 comments:

  1. If you liked this one, you should definitely also try A Little Wanting Song. (or Chasing Charlie Duskin in Australia) I loved it just as much. This book is so much better than a lot of people think it will be. You should try the Aussie version as well--my coblogger did a comparison and there were lots of changes from the original:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is by far one of my favourite aussie books! which isn't saying much since i don't usually like aussie books even though i actually live here. it's just that cath crowley captured melbourne SO BEAUTIFULLY. my friend and i are actually going graffiti lane hunting tomorrow in the city (: so glad you liked it! this definitely captures modern australia perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am absolutely obsessed with this book. Great review. Glad to see you loved it too! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)