Thursday 7 June 2012

REVIEW: Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2) by Gemma Halliday

Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2) 
Author: Gemma Halliday
Series: Deadly Cool
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 277

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.

I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos.

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 stars

Deadly cool was such a fun, exciting and entertaining read for me so I was pleased Social Suicide, the sequel in the Deadly Cool series followed on in the same way.

Hartley Grace Featherstone is working on her first real story for the school newspaper, the suspension of popular girl Sydney Sanders when the day she is due to interview her she instead finds her dead in her swimming pool.

The police believe it is suicide; Hartley believes otherwise and thinks it was ‘Twittercide’ - the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting. So under the direction of the papers editor, Chase Erikson, Hartley sets out to solve the case.

The premise of Social Suicide was very similar to Deadly Cool – a crime solving plot which revolved around the student body of Herbert Hoover High and Hartley trying to solve the murder with the help of her friends. It is a tad predictable; I was able to guess the killer early on in the book but couldn’t guess the motives.

I really like the way Chase and Hartley work together, their relationship is certainly progressing at a more realistic pace than most YA novels which I find to be a breath of fresh air; I am sure they are bound to end up together but the build-up has been nice.

I literally finished this book in one sitting; each of the characters are likeable – the humor between Hartley and her best friend Sam is entertaining and had me laughing out loud on numerous occasions and I liked the beginning of the relationship which is forming between Officer Raley and Hartley’s mother, it is sweet.

Social Suicide is a fun, light hearted, quick and enjoyable read. The murder, mystery plot and Ms Halliday’s wonderful writing held my attention, I am so eager to get hold of the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)