Saturday 7 July 2012

Interview: Britt Bury, author of The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat #1)


I am so pleased to have the wonderful Britt Bury, author of The Darkest Day, which is her debut Paranormal romance book from the Immortal Heat series on my blog for an interview today.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1338419710l/13526053.jpg 
Author: Britt Bury
Series: Immortal Heat
Pages: 300
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Genre: Paranormal Romance
AmazonB&N
Release Date: 3rd July 2012
Website - Twitter - Facebook

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

ALL-CONSUMING DESIRE . . .
Izel Campbell was raised to believe she is an immortal Fionn with the magical skills of persuasion. But when she travels to Scotland to visit her ancestral home, Izel discovers that she is actually the world's last living human. Forced to run for her life, Izel crosses paths with Kelvin Kerr, the Campbells' greatest foe-and the most magnificent warrior she has ever seen.
BURNS BRIGHTEST . . .
A thousand-year-old battle chief of the Kerr clan, Kelvin lives only to avenge his father, who died at the hands of the bloody Campbells. Honor demands he kill the Campbell heir, but when he learns that the lovely Izel is both Campbell "and" human, Kelvin is torn between duty and desire . . .
ON" THE DARKEST DAY"

Interview
  
Welcome to Obsession with Books Britt, Are you able to tell us a little about your book The Darkest Day and yourself?

Thank you so much for having me! Well, I have three men in my life, two of them are currently in the other room watching cartoons. I love college football to an extreme level and have a relatively unhealthy obsession with Elvis. My book, The Darkest Day, is a paranormal romance about the last mortal woman on earth living amongst immortals and her fight for survival…oh, and there’s a hunky Scottish warrior who has to protect her despite the millennium long feud between their clans.

When and why did you begin writing? I started writing when I was a kid. I always loved it, but it was also an outlet for me. Creating stories provided an escape I needed and calmed me.

Where did the inspiration for your book The Darkest Day come from? A lot of it came from my family history. My grandfather and his family emigrated from Scotland and we are a part of the Campbell clan. I did some research on old Scottish folklore and then put my own spin on the idea of immortal Pookahs and Fionns (like the three breeds within each race). I just really liked the idea of doing something a bit different. Having a world where humanity was the rarity and immortality was the norm.

What is your ideal day as an author?

Haha, actually being able to write for a whole day would be kind of cool! I have two boys and they are so wonderful giving me time to write…for five minutes at a time. They check on me constantly, “Mommy, are you done yet?” My six-year-old then informs me that he can write a book much faster than I can. He’s right! And his come complete with pictures too! He’s my role model, It’s these days that make me smile and happy because I don’t think I could ever write alone in the quiet.

Do you mind telling us how long it took for you to write The Darkest Day?

Not at all, I began writing this book…wow…over three years ago! Time flies when you’re cursing at your computer and crying.

Is there anything about you that would surprise your readers? Any quirks, habits, routines etc.

Oh boy, I could go on and on about my weirdness! I actually suffer from really bad anxiety. A NYT best-selling author walked in on me in a public bathroom having a panic attack—heaving and hyperventilating…yeah…it was embarrassing. I color-code everything and have a tube of purell on my person at all times. You may also want to give me thirty extra minutes to get places because I never take the highways, only back roads. Wanna hang out sometime? I can bring the awkward, germ-free entertainment about an hour late to the party.

Are you able to describe what your writing process is like?

When I start a new book, I do “prep-work.” I create a file on my characters, the world and plot. Organizing all of this upfront helps me keep things straight in my head as I write. Once I have laid the ground work, I just start writing whichever scene pops in my head first. Sometimes it ends up being chapter one, or chapter five. But it’s that first scene that is the clearest and I work around that.

Are there any books or authors that have most influenced you?

Yes. Larissa Ione is amazing. Kresley Cole and Sherrilyn Kenyon are also wonderful. How they weave their characters and build their worlds are all unique and I really like the tension and action they put into their books. They are all truly phenomenal authors.

Is there are book you are reading at the moment? And do you tend to favor a particular genre?

I am reading Larissa Ione’s “Lethal Rider” at the moment. I read mostly paranormal, but love small town single title and some YA as well. Realistically, anything with a love story and you’ve got me!

If The Darkest Day were ever to be made into a movie, who would you chose to play the roles of your main characters?

I LOVE this question! Hands down, Jason Momoa for Kelvin (when my editor revealed my book cover to me, first thing she said was, “He looks like Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones!” I then proceeded to tell her, “That’s how I’ve always envisioned Kelvin!”) Izel is a bit trickier…maybe Freida Pinto for her.

What is up next for you?

I’m currently writing book three in the Immortal Heat series as well a couple other projects.

Quick Questions:

Fave band / television series / movie? Band: Blink 182. TV: Roseanne. Movie: Ace Venture or A League of Their Own.

Coffee or tea? Both! Coffee in the morning, Tea in the evening.

E-reader or hardcopy? Both! I travel with an E-reader but still love my paperbacks.

Cats or Dogs: Dogs

Ideal travel destination? Graceland! I’m making big plans to go next year!

Thank-you so much Britt for taking time to talk to us today!

Thank you for having me!

Britney1.jpgAbout Britt Bury

Britt Bury writes paranormal romance where the immortals are fierce, the stakes are high, and desire can be deadly.
Britt was raised in Corvallis, Oregon and attended Oregon State University majoring in Liberal Studies. When her dream of being a professional karaoke star and Elvis impersonator didn’t pan out, she turned to writing. She currently lives in the Silicon Valley with her brilliant husband, two sons and an obscene amount of fish.

Britt's first paranormal romance releases July 2012 with Grand Central's imprint: Forever Yours. Britt is represented by Jill Marsal of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

LINKS:

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this book THIS MORNING! :) Really awesome paranormal romance, quirky..cute and fun! I loooved me some Kelvin - Although I hadn't pictured him as the guy from Game of Thrones. I can totally see it though :)

    Britt, when will the next book be released??

    The Brunette Librarian Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for you comment! You made my day :) Book two is done, however the official release date is still being worked out. The suspense is killing me! As soon as I know, I will post it asap. Thank you so much again for reading and your nice words :)
    All the best,
    Britt

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)