Monday 18 March 2013

Review: Scent of Magic (Healer #2) by Maria V. Snyder




Scent of Magic  (Healer #2)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Series: Healer
Pages: 414
Genre: Young Adult - Fantasy
Publisher/Source: Harlequin Teen Australia

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again

Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Please note this book contains possible spoilers from the first book, Touch of Death

Scent of Magic is the second book in the Healer series by Maria V. Snyder and follows on where the first book, Touch of Power left off.

In this installment we see Avry of Kazan part ways with Kerrick of Alga as they take their own journeys – Avry is now believed dead and has taken on an alias to train Estrid’s Army whilst Kerrick is returning to his own realm to prepare his troops for battle.

As with the first book, the plot is fast paced, action packed and filled with political mayhem, betrayals, adventure and unusual characters who are each intriguing, it is up to Avry as the last Healer to put a stop to evil King Tohon and his army of walking dead all the while trying to repair her rift with her sister Noelle; Kerrick on the other hand is facing a dilemma of his own after being captured along with Danny and assumed dead.

We are introduced to a number of new characters in this book and each were developed well, one thing I did miss though was the camaraderie and banter between the characters we met in the first book; especially Avry and Kerrick who’s relationship wasn’t at the forefront in this story, I was hoping for more but with them being apart for a majority of the time it wasn’t to be; I did enjoy the story being told from both of their POV’s though and with the ending we are left with, I am eager to see what will happen in the next book.

I absolutely love Maria V. Snyder’s writing, it is mesmerising and I fly through the pages wanting to know more; the world-building is wonderfully entertaining and the magical fantasy tale she has weaved is creative and leaves you needing more; my biggest gripe though is the cliffhanger we are left with, I was gaping so I am quite eager for the last book in this trilogy, Taste of Death which has an anticipated December 2013 release date.

3 comments:

  1. I think I would enjoy this series, I am adding to my wishlist..I just need time..more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skimmed this review since I haven't read book 1 yet, but I wanted to see what you thought. I'm really glad that you enjoyed this one, Sharon! I keep hearing great things about this author and all of her books. I've yet to read a really negative review of any of her books!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I skimmed this because even though I loved Touch of Power, I have held off on reading the sequel - thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)