Friday 20 July 2012

ARC Review: Temptation (Temptation #1) by Karen Ann Hopkins

 Author: Karen Ann Hopkins
Series: Temptation
Pages: 383
Publisher: Harlequin
Genre: Young Adult
Amazon: Temptation

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Your heart misleads you.  That's what my friends and family say.  But I love Noah. And he loves me.  We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. It should be  ROSE & NOAH forever, easy. But it won't be. Because he's Amish. And I'm not.

Review: 3 out of 5 stars

Temptation was kindly provided to me by Harlequin Australia and is the first book in the Temptation series by Karen Ann Hopkins.

Temptation is a contemporary romance which follows the story of sixteen year-old Rose who is grieving the loss of her mother and has moved with her father and brothers to the farming community of Meadowview and eighteen year-old Noah who is an Amish boy working and living on his family farm.

I was quite fascinated by a plot surrounding the Amish community because I admit to being completely clueless and their way of living was certainly interesting as was their belief system. I was learning along the way with Rose and although it isn’t a community for me – I’d be lost without my modern technology, I feel she accepted everything well - although I'm not sure whether for the right reason.

I liked how this story was told from both Rose and Noah’s POV’s, it gave us more of an understanding about not only how they were feeling about one another but also them realizing how different each others lives were and the sacrifices they would have to make to be together, they were raised with differing beliefs, morals and values and at times this caused a lot of strain between them but they worked through it and remained true to each other.

I enjoyed our main characters but I was not overly sold on the romance between them, I appreciated the attraction towards one another but I felt it was too ‘insta-love’ and more about Rose being someone totally out of the norm to what Noah was used to, she was fun and carefree but he also wanted to control and change her and in some ways not for the better (her lifestyle, clothing etc.) He also expected her to be Amish and live as he did but was hesitant about changing his ways for her – they seemed off balance and he could be quite condescending towards her. I also wasn’t a big fan of the decision they made towards the end, I felt it was too rushed and immature.

I did like this novel, it was different to any contemporary I have read more recently and I’m curious to see where Ms. Hopkins will take it; I enjoyed each of the characters and found even the secondary characters fascinating. The pacing and plot flowed well and we are given a few light twists to keep us guessing. Ms. Hopkins writing was entertaining and the premise unique.

Overall, Temptation was a quick and easy read that gave a new spin on the forbidden love trope and the differing cultures and belief systems of the Amish and the English (anyone not Amish); I am keen to see what will happen with the budding romance between Rose and Noah – I feel it is going to be a tough road ahead.

6 comments:

  1. I love a great Amish book!Great review :D I've had this on my TBR list for a while so I will try to get to this one soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use to live near and Amish community..but i am sure they would frown at my obsession with books..lol. Too bad the romance didn't feel genuine..that kind of ruins it. Great review cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo insta-love! I do think that a book involving the Amish is pretty unique in YA, so that is intriguing. Still, I can't handle a romance that doesn't have a strong base. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the uniqueness of this story, but still the idea of insta-love, especially with these two characters throws me off. I'm sorry to hear that the romance didn't feel genuine. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That whole paragraph about Noah/Rose and your issues with them? My thoughts EXACTLY. Like you, I enjoyed this one, but I felt that Noah/Rose moved WAY too fast without really getting to know one another, and were more insta-love or "like" (or possibly lust) than they were truly in love. They have a LOT of growing to do in the sequel/s.

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a copy of this but I wasn't aware it was part of a series, I'm glad you enjoyed it because I have heard mixed things, I hope to read it soon! Great review, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)