Wednesday 3 June 2015

Review: Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3) by Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)Dark Frost #3

Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy
Pages: 336
Publisher: K-Teen
Release date: 29th May 2012

Synopsis –

I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.


Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life.

Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Contains possible spoilers from previous books

Dark Frost is the third book in the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep and is keeping me thoroughly entertained.

Gypsy girl Gwen Frost went through so much in the last book and continues to find out more and more about her unique psychometry abilities which allows her to know, feel and see an object or persons history. We also continue to learn about the warriors at the academy such as Spartans, Romans, Ninjas, Vikings etc.

In Dark Frost we have the reapers trying to find the Helheim Dagger, a powerful artefact that Gwen’s mother hid before she died which will allow them to free Loki and plunge the world into a second chaos war, we also find out who one of the main leaders are and it wasn’t someone I had expected. There was action aplenty in this book and I found the pacing to be fast and the plot entertaining but a lot more gruesome than the other books.

One thing I really like about these books is the setting, boarding schools are one of my favourites and the snippets we get about it I find enjoyable – you can picture certain areas in your mind, especially the library of antiquities which is filled with many different artefacts.

Another thing is the character progression; I feel we are really getting to know all of the characters – Gwen is such a wonderful protagonist, sure she can be flighty and act without thinking but she is still fiercely protective and loyal to those closest to her. A bit more has also been revealed about Daphne and her awakening powers. Logan is still a bit of a mystery, I would love for there to be more page time between him and Gwen because at this stage I still don’t feel that they have really gone forward with their relationship. Vic continues to be amazing as does Nickomedes, Carson, Metis, Kenzie and Oliver.

One of my biggest gripes with this series has been the constant rehashing of events and repetitive information, at the beginning of the book it would be alright as there tends to be a bit of time between reading the last book but I am finding it is right throughout which can at times be annoying.

Overall, Dark Frost is another well-written an entertaining addition to the Mythos Academy series.


Favourite quotes:

“You won't hurt me. I know you won't." Logan said.
"How can you be so sure?" I whispered.
"Because you're that Gypsy girl, and I'm the bad-boy Spartan. And I think it's time we were finally together, don't you?”

"In a way, touching her things was like losing my mom all over again--- a dozen little deaths packed into each and every box."

8 comments:

  1. You seem to be blowing through this series! But THAT'S IT, I REALLY NEED TO DO A REREAD. I was so attached to Vic. Lovely review - I agree that it definitely got annoyingly repetitive at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these books one after the other, I thoroughly enjoyed them :-) Vic had me giggling! I loved his snark. The repetition was quite frustrating.

      Delete
  2. Woop, woop! I loved this series. It felt different from other YAs. So happy you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved them Jennifer - have you read her new series starter Cold Burn of Magic? sooo good!

      Delete
  3. You are rocking right through these. I liked this series as well. The mystery and the characters kept me going. I don't recall the repetitive rehash, but I read them as they released a year apart so I usually need a refresher. I hope you like the last couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun series, I breezed through them - I'm just about to start on her Elemental Assassin series and I can't wait :-)

      Delete
  4. I need to try this series, I finally read a book by her this year and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it Cold Burn of Magic you read Kimba? I loved it :-)

      Delete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)