Friday 15 April 2011

REVIEW Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) Rachel Hawkins

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Pages: 359
Genre: Young Adult
Hyperion Books CH

From the blurb.

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

REVIEW: 4 out of 5 Stars

I have only just finished Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins and couldn’t wait to get hold of it's sequel, Demonglass.

Demonglass picks up shortly after Hex Hall left of, Sophie Mercer is attending Hecate Hall or Hex Hall as it is more popularly known which is a school for Prodigium; Witches, Fae, Shifters and a Vampire.

After watching her Demon grandmother, Alice murder her classmate Elodie in Book One and learning that she is part demon, Sophie makes the decision to undergo a procedure known as the Removal, something that if she lives through, will take away her powers and leave her covered in tattoos. A chance she is willing to take so that she won’t lose control and ever be able to harm those close to her.

Her dad, the council leader who hasn’t been a face-to-face part of her life, offers Sophie the chance to spend summer break in London with him where she can learn to better understand and use her chaotic powers as well as learn of her heritage. Her best friend, pink loving vampire Jenna and her betrothed, Cal the healing gate-keeper travel with Sophie to Thorne Abbey, which is where the council is also temporarily residing.

Sophie had believed there were only two demons in the world, her and her father. When she arrives at Thorne Abbey however, there are two more – Daisy and Nick. So it turns into a bit of a mystery as to who is raising demons??

The Eye or L'Occhio di Dio is still on the look out for Sophie and other Prodigium, with Sophie’s Hecate crush Archer Cross a key member, someone she still holds deep feelings for.

Now, I am NOT a fan of love triangles whatsoever and Demonglass certainly has this going on, but I am happy to say Sophie's romantic troubles are handled well and never take away from the main plot. I am still undecided about who I want as her love interest, both Cal & Archer are both worthy and have great chemistry with Sophie (Archer loses points for being a member of the Eye but has saved her a few times so that makes up for it ;).

I really enjoyed Sophie's growth in this book and I can't wait for the next when she really comes into her own and is a formidable force. She is determined, strong and independent and I felt she really matured as a character.

There were a few surprising twists and turns which I didn’t see coming, I would never have guessed who was creating the demons!

Have I mentioned I hate cliffhanger endings? Well Demonglass certainly has a cliffhanger! It left me with A LOT of questions. I will definitely be picking up book 3, I just wish I didn’t have to wait until 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)