Thursday 21 June 2012

REVIEW: Thomas & January (Sleepless #2) by Fisher Amelie

Thomas & January 
Author: Fisher Amelie
Series: Sleepless
Pages: eBook
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Publisher: Self

Synopsis. (Goodreads)

Thomas Eriksson thinks he has it all figured out.

"People crossed the street when they saw me. I’m not really sure why that was. I mean, okay, I might have looked a bit intimidating if I was being truthful with you. I’d changed since New York. New York represented a life that wasn’t real, not truthfully, anyway. No, New York was the “young, immature, in love, idiot" side of Tom. The “Tie-Dye Tom of New York City” didn’t exist anymore. Tie-Dye Tom was dead."

January Mac Lochlainn thinks she’s her own worst enemy.

"I quit Berkeley. Threw away a full scholarship. Plans, you ask? What plans?"

But they’re both wrong.

***
Tom approached me slowly and met me under the light on the stone walkway. He leaned over me so closely, my neck craned to see his face. His expression was one of confusion as he studied my own.

“What is it about you?” he asked me.

I gulped. “What do you mean?” I whispered, closing my eyes and swallowing again, my breaths becoming labored.

He lifted his hand and dragged the backs of his fingers across my jaw so lightly I barely felt them, but they made me feel dizzy all the same.

“How can you be this extraordinary, January MacLochlainn?” He leaned closer, a look of pure frustration and anger lit his eyes and pressed his lips. “And why couldn’t I have met you before I realized I didn’t want anyone...ever?”

Life for Thomas and January will never be the same again...whether they like it or not.

Review: 3 out of 5 stars

I absolutely loved Callum & Harper by Fisher Amelie so went into Thomas & January with my expectations quite high and although I enjoyed it, I didn’t love it as much as book 1.

January MacLochlainn, the eldest of ten children has left a scholarship at Berkeley to pursue a career in the music world where her passion truly lies.

Thomas Eriksson fled NY for Austin with a broken heart, he is a former musician and now a music scout; his whole persona from Callum & Harper did a complete turnabout, he went from being tie-dye Tom to dark, moody mysterious Tom.

Thomas and January meet at a concert where they share a kiss but Thomas pulls away still reeling over his heartache and not expecting the emotions he feels after January kisses him. She is given gainful employment at the same company as Thomas but they don’t see each other for a few months which is about to change when Thomas is sent to Europe to scout for new talent and January is to accompany him.

I thought January was wonderful, head-strong and determined at the beginning of the book, there was an innocence about her but she still stood up to Thomas; as the book progressed though she seemed to become weaker, I feel the same happened with Thomas – they started with a volatile relationship that was snarky and a bit of fun to something completely different. I would have loved a bit more character development to get to know them more than what we did, especially January.

I did enjoy the secondary characters, each make a re-appearance from the first book which was great. I like when characters from past books play a big part, it is nice to see what they are now up to and the friendship they each share is sweet.

Ms Amelie’s writing is detailed and enjoyable; I really love a book that has a lot of witty, fun dialogue. The plot was a tad predictable but enjoyable none the less.

Thomas & January is a book filled with drama, romance, wonderful descriptions, a beautiful setting and likeable characters that will have you glued to the pages right from the beginning. A sweet read with a nice HEA.


1 comment:

  1. Now I am curious about the first book and sorry this one was just a good read. I love drama, romance and likable characters..

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by today!

I love to receive your comments, please leave your blog link & I'll be sure to stop by.

I also respond to your comment here on my blog :)